College of General Education
The revised general education framework integrates the mandate of the UAE Higher Education Standard in the areas of English and Arabic Languages, Islamic Studies, UAE Studies and Innovation, and Entrepreneurship and aligned to the current general education curriculum in communication; mathematics and quantitative analysis; information technology; arts and humanities; social and behavioral sciences; and natural sciences.
At UOF, general education is an essential component of the curricular programs so tailored to advance the academic foundation of students in facing the academic rigor challenges of the core courses and areas of concentration required to successfully finish their degree programs.
In this regard, students must complete the general education courses as described in their curricular programs
The General Education or University Requirements program is the key segment of courses in the undergraduate programs designed to equip students with the breadth of knowledge in communication, analytical techniques, information technology, humanities, social and natural sciences, innovation, and entrepreneurship vital towards developing logical abilities and enhance their competencies to become successful in their academic programs, in particular, and elevate their views on changing society that educates or liberalize them for life, in general.
The General Education Program seeks to:
- Develop students’ competence in English and Arabic Communication; effectively both orally and in writing commensurate with a two-year, or a four-year, degree level of education.
- Develop competence in quantitative analysis.
- Develop information literacy and information technology skills of students required to enhance the ability to find, evaluate, use and communicate information in various formats.
- Create an understanding of a shared cultural heritage, arts and humanities, the contemporary world, and its problems.
- Develop an awareness of the major areas of knowledge in Social, Behavioral Sciences, and Natural Sciences.
- Develop an understanding of design thinking as applied to innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Demonstrate broad base of interdisciplinary and allied knowledge related to business concepts, theories, and principles to establish substantive depth in underlying principles of business strategies, problems and solutions.
- Develop a range of skills including quantitative approaches, information technology, verbal and written communication, and presentation skills for varied business situations.
- Integrate relevant business and interdisciplinary theories, principles and practices to solve business problems in local and global business context.
- Utilize the entrepreneurial skills to create innovative solutions in dynamic and complex business environments.
- Develop business management and teamwork capacities to demonstrate the ability to comprehend the challenges of multi-cultural environment.